Do you feel it? Do you feel the shift happening? The way we look at our job, our work and our career is shifting! Job security is something that my dad had back in the day when you stayed with your company forever, retired with a pension, and got a gold watch. That was then…Today the world of work as we know it is changing.
- The economic downturn has caused many jobs to go away. Unemployment is staying around 9%
- Virtual workplaces and outsourcing are on the rise
- Job tenure is decreasing. The average time a CMO (Chief Marketing Officer) stays at a company is 23 months…maybe that why they are referred to as CMO-Constantly Moving On….and
- Job seekers are being FOUND on line
Here’s the GOOD NEWS from all of this…Your greatest asset in the new world of work is your personal brand. Please remember that personal branding is not about creating a facade or false character of who you want to be. Personal branding is a process that helps you connect your talents, strengths, values, passion, and personality as you grow your area of expertise. Simply said, personal branding is reputation building! It helps you align who you are, with what you do, and differentiates you from the pack.
Here are some of the things that you can do today to begin growing your personal online brand.
1. Google your name and read what comes up.
3. Buy your domain name and start your own site. Your online presence will become your resume they are predicting in the next 10 years. While you are at it buy a domain name for your kids.
4. Join some Linkedin groups and start asking and answering questions pertaining to your expertise.
5. Get started networking and spreading your brand on social networks like Facebook and Twitter. Today the majority of job seekers found their last job networking…on line
7. Start blogging! Just start because in the beginning nobody is reading it. The more you write the better you get and the more people you are attracting.
8. Leave your mark on everything you do. Make your emails -you, your signature -you, your phone messages -you,…you get it don’t you?
Personal branding shines in the New World of Work…Let is shine on you too!